I have been making this sun dried tomato and chicken sausage pasta since I was in college. I came up with the recipe after having a similar pasta at one of my favorite Italian restaurants. It was a restaurant my mom and I would meet at when I was in college. The restaurant was halfway between where I lived and where she lived, so it made for a good meeting spot. On one of our visits, we split the salmon carpaccio and an amazing pasta dish that had a lighter sun dried tomato an olive oil sauce versus the traditional tomato sauce. I fell in love with this pasta dish! I came up with my own version and started making it on a weekly basis. Thankfully my boyfriend at the time (now husband), loved it equally as much. It has remained one of our favorite meals.
Aside from being delicious, this recipe is also super easy and quick to make. Easy recipes are essential to staying on track with clean eating. As much as I enjoy cooking, sometimes I just don’t have time to cook up an elaborate meal. That’s when it helps to have some easy, quick dinner recipes on hand. This pasta recipe calls for relatively few ingredients and can be whipped up in under 30 minutes.
- 1 package hot Italian chicken sausages
- 1 box pasta of choice (we use gluten-free penne pasta)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + extra for drizzling over pasta once finished cooking
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- ½ of a 5 ounce container of spinach (about 2 handfuls)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- freshly grated parmigiano reggiano to taste
- Cook pasta per instructions on package.
- While pasta is cooking, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a saute pan. Remove sausage from casing and add to the pan. Cook over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into bite sized pieces as it cooks.
- Once sausage is almost cooked through, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and minced garlic to the pan. Continue to saute a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and peas to the pan. Continue to cook until peas are thawed and spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once pasta is done, drain and add to the pan with the sausage and sun-dried tomato mixture. Stir to combine. If pasta seems dry, add olive one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Top with chopped basil and freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.