‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin spice! We have been loving these pumpkin spice muffins for breakfast lately. They have all the comforting flavors of the traditional seasonal treat yet they are made with wholesome ingredients you can feel good about eating.
This recipe was inspired by some absolutely delicious pumpkin spice muffins my friend shared with us. The muffins she made were amazing and left me craving more! In my quest to recreate a gluten free version of her muffins, I came up with this recipe.
To make them gluten free,I decided to use a combination of coconut flour and tapioca flour similar to the banana chocolate chip muffins I made a few posts back. I find this combo to work well as a gluten free muffin. The texture is not exactly the same as the gluten version, but I’d say it’s close. A touch of maple syrup paired with the pumpkin and the infamous spice blend we know and love will have you swooning for these tasty little muffins!
The crumb topping is completely optional but totally recommended. It is quite easy to make and adds a special little touch to the muffins. I don’t always make the muffins with the crumb topping, but when I do….. we may have more than one muffin at a time.
- 1 can pumpkin
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- ⅔ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Crumb Topping (optional):
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add first six ingredients (pumpkin through apple cider vinegar) to a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, pour batter into a lined or greased muffin tin.
- To make the optional crumb topping: combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle crumb topping on top of muffins. Bake for 45 minutes or until fully cooked.